Thursday, January 26, 2017

Purpose in Marriage

At the end of last year my wonderful bible study leader challenged me and our group to share a word that summed up our spiritual journey for that year. I picked the word "purpose". For this blog I thought that I would share how my understanding of purpose has changed my life.

2016 was a huge year for me, and this upcoming year will only be greater! On the eve of the new year, my best friend and high school sweetheart, Greg, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him!



Naturally, we started planning this new chapter of our lives together and as much as we wanted to be married we knew that we would have to wait until I was done with school in a year and a half. Greg and I continually prayed throughout the year for patience...long engagements are hard! We still have 171 days left, but God showed UP this year in our relationship in ways that we could have never predicted.

After being together for six years, Greg and I know each other like the back of our own hands. However, we grew even closer during our Preparing for Marriage class we took this summer. One of the greatest lessons we took away from the class was the truth that God designed marriage to make us both happy AND holy! We had great discussion on this challenging statement: "The problem with looking to another human to complete us is that, spiritually speaking, it's idolatry. We are to find our fulfillment and purpose in God . . . and if we expect our spouse to be 'God' to us, he or she will fail every day. No person can live up to such expectations."

The PURPOSE of marriage is to serve God through our love for each other. I pray that this new chapter in our life will only bring honor and glory to him.




No comments:

Post a Comment