Friday, February 14, 2014

DIY Hometown Canvas- Day 4 of 30

Since I've started college, I have become super obsessed with Pinterest. A group of college girls can be perfectly content all sitting together in a circle, all on Pinterest.
 
A couple of months ago, my hall and I had a crafts day where we all did our own crafts.
 
I saw a cute idea on Pinterest that I really wanted to try.

 
 
 This is an easy craft, that doesn’t involve much expertise in art at all and it will be a nice symbolic touch to your home.
 
I have also seen some canvases that follow the same instructions as this, but have different ideas, such as creating a birthday themed one, holiday inspired ones, and different takes on the
hometown theme.
 
Also, if you have lived in more than one place, you can create multiple ones for a series effect.

Since I go to school in Indiana, but I live in Ohio, I created a canvas of Ohio.
 
And since I was born in China, I also created a canvas of my native country!
 
I thought I would share how I made my canvases!
 
 
Things you will need:
 
·        Canvas- You can get whatever size you want to use, I got an 8 x 10 canvas for $5.99 at Hobby Lobby.
·         Acrylic Paint
o   Red- for the heart
o   Background color
o   State or country color
·         Paint brushes
·         Pencil
·         Stencils of a small heart and the countries that you will be painting
 
1.       Decide what state/country you are going to paint on your canvas and print off a picture of it. Make sure that it is the size that will fit on your canvas.
 
2.       Along with your state/country, print off a small heart that you will paint inside of your country.
 
3.       Cut out your state/country and place it on your canvas and lightly outline the shape with your pencil onto the canvas. 
 
4.       Cut out  and place the heart inside the state/country wherever the city you lived is located.
 
5.       I didn’t paint inside my state/country and I just left it white. But if you want to make your state/country a color, paint inside there first.
 
6.       If you decide to paint your state/country, be sure that the color that you paint your heart is darker than your state/country color.
 
7.       Once the state/country paint is dry, lightly outline your heart stencil onto your shape.
 
8.       Fill your heart in with your desired paint color.
 
9.       Finally, paint the background of your canvas. I outlined my shape with my background color first so that I would be sure not to accidently get paint inside of my country.
 
10.   I would suggest giving the background color two coats.
 
11.   You have your finished hometown canvas! After it dries, (I would give it at least 12 hours) you can secure fastening hooks on the back to hang it up!



 
 
So save this little project for a rainy or snowy day, or a craft night with the girls (or guys)!
 
Talk to you tomorrow,
Marisa
xo
PS: Happy Valentines Day!!
 
 

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God."
1 John 4:7


Sign up on my email list, comment below and share!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment